Towards a fair development
With support from architects at Sahmakum Teang Tnaut, the remaining residents at Boeung Kok Lake propose an onsite development plan that provides adequate housing for residents, without making them leave the area.
It is a win-win plan; residents get to stay in the area, while other parties show concern for the urban poor, and prevent the negative attention a wide-scale eviction would bring.
The current development involves an area of 126 hectares. We propose an alternative plan where housing for current residents takes up an area of 15 hectares, or around 12% of the total. This area is enough to house over 2000 households, leaving 111 hectares, or 88%, for the development of more commercial and upscale housing areas.
Just a "clear" to say "after this you start again as normal
Bottom up approach.
This proposal was developed with and for the community. It represents a modern design approach, which brings urban planning closer to the needs and desires of the people it affects.
Plot base approach.
Since the first community design meeting, it was clear that the preferred design was one which gave each household its own plot of land. This is typical in Cambodia, and what many families strive for.
Different needs, different streets.
In order to create a more vibrant urban space and to target specific needs, we are developing an urban grid that includes different types of spaces. In this way we can facilitate commercial activities as well as have quiet and liveable residential area.
Being an affordable project, the use of standardised sizes is an important tool in reducing costs and facilitating construction. The plot per household measures 4m x 12m.
The proposed grid size was chosen after considering the needs of the inhabitants and the current state of the construction sector in Cambodia.